Friday, May 17, 2013

Trying to Become a Teacher



As I stated last week, I’m thinking about going back to school to become a teacher.  Actually, I've made the decision; I’m going to try.

For a variety of different reasons, I chose not to pursue that path when I was in college the first time (2002-2006).  I earned a bachelor’s in social science, but I can’t say that it’s helped me very much.  At least, not yet.  I loved taking the classes that earned me the degree, but I haven’t had a job that fits the material I studied.  I’ve applied to jobs, but haven’t landed an interview for anything that relates to my degree.

I hope this doesn’t come off as me complaining, because I’m not trying to.  Everyone would love to land a great job based on their knowledge and skill set, but things are competitive out here.  I’m just thinking that I could try again, and this time I’ll have a clear goal in my mind.  Besides, it’s something that I was told I would be good at, something aptitude tests have suggested to me, and something I almost majored in to begin with.  At the time, I guess education just didn’t sound as exciting as psychology.  I wanted my four years of college to be interesting, and social science was very interesting.

Now that I've had time to reflect on my interest in social science, I think it would go hand in hand with my current interest in teaching.  I’m interested in people; how they learn, how they develop, how their thought processes work, what makes them who they are.  I’m interested in cultures, history, and the future of humanity.  I like watching the news.  I’m interested in space, and things we haven’t discovered yet.  I love to read, and my collection contains books from a wide range of genres, including science fiction, horror, thriller, fantasy, educational, mystery, and even westerns

I’m not giving up on writing.  If anything, I’m trying to enter a career that is conducive to writing.  I want to be learning, ALWAYS.  I want to feel the push to explore deeper, and understand better.  I want my characters to be knowledgeable, and my settings to reflect reality (even if the world’s are based in fantasy).

I’ll keep everyone posted.  Just to let you know, on a more casual note, my computers are still unreliable.  At this point I’m just waiting to see what kind of financial aid I might be getting, because I’ll bite the bullet and buy a new laptop if I can get the money.  I’m still looking forward to publishing The Dream Machine.  We were almost done with it.  I say “We” because I have to give credit to my wonderful girlfriend for her editing.  If it wasn't such a tedious task I might even ask her to edit these blog posts.  She keeps me humble when it comes to grammar and punctuation, and that’s a very important part of making my stories enjoyable… in the (hopefully) near future.

Thanks, Bek.

Love,
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment