Friday, May 24, 2013

Let's Take the Praxis Test



Now that I’m trying to focus on going back to school, I get to look forward to taking the Praxis test before I can start taking classes again.

The Praxis test is a skills test that includes math, reading, and writing.  For me, I’m worried about the math portion the most.  I’ve never been very good at math, but now that I’ve had some time away from school math seems more like a challenging game, rather than a dreadful enemy.  I’m scheduled to take the test on the eleventh of June.  Hopefully, I’ll be ready.

I’m not sure if the Praxis test is the only thing I need to be worrying about, or not.  I’ve already filled out my financial aid forms (not sure what I might be getting, yet), I’m in the process of getting my letters of recommendation filled out, I’m working with the University where I earned my degree so I can have my transcripts sent to my post-grad college, I’ve done my background check, and I’ve filled out my application, including the 250 word essay (easy as pie for anyone who enjoys writing) about why I would like to become a teacher.

This decision to continue my education isn’t without concern for the future.  After all, I’ve already earned one degree (B.S. in Social Science), and I didn’t exactly land a dream job.  I’ve made my own choices, but I have to admit that I thought there would be MORE options to choose from.

Recently, I gave up a life that I wasn’t satisfied with.  Some people would see it as a mistake, but I see it as another part of my personal journey through life.  I’ve been a person who plays it safe when it comes to life, but it landed me somewhere that caused me to feel lonely and cut off from the rest of the world.  Now, even though I’m a college grad who makes minimum wage, I feel like I’m, at least, part of the human experience again.

That being said, I’m not satisfied with minimum wage.  I want to be part of the world I live in AND have enough money to enjoy it.  I want to do something I enjoy, and be somewhere I fit in.  I want to continue my education, and earn a position in life where I can finally be comfortable and start concentrating on my friends and family.  Life might not lead me down the path I have planned, but there’s no reason not to set out on my journey.  Right now, I want to be a teacher, and I’m trying to find the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment