Friday, June 14, 2013

Indie Review, Trouble in the Mage Guild (A Rogue’s Tale Part II) by Saoirse O’Mara

Trouble in the Mage Guild, just like its predecessor, was enjoyable enough to read in a single day.  I admit that after finishing The Lost Diadem (A Rogue’s Tale I), I started reading Trouble in the Mage Guild the moment I got it.  I wanted to find out where the next adventure would take me.  For this review, I went back to the story so it would be fresh in my mind.

Who will like this book?  This book is intended for young adults, but enjoyable for all ages.  There is a focus on fantasy and magic, and centers around two young city guards who must disguise themselves as servants in order to solve a mystery.  Readers of The Lost Diadem will enjoy catching up with Tayla and Govin, the main characters of both books.  Although familiar, Trouble in the Mage Guild contains its own, unique story.  You don’t have to read the first book to enjoy the second.

Personally, I was happy to be reading about familiar characters.  Many of the independent books I’ve read aren’t part of a series, so I was looking forward to how Saoirse O’Mara would create continuity between the two books.  She does it well.  The story picks up a short time after the first book ends, and readers are shown some of the changes that have occurred since the last adventure.  The story doesn’t dwell on the past, however, and is quick to thrust our main characters back into action with a new mission that involves investigating magic and mages.

Trouble in the Mage Guild (A Rogue’s Tale Part II) shares many of the same qualities as The Lost Diadem (A Rogue’s Tale Part I):  They are both easy to read, written with young adults in mind, but written in a professional style.  If you have a teen that enjoys reading (rare these days), you should encourage them by downloading free samples of these books.  Crude language and adult content are completely absent from these books, so even young readers could enjoy these stories.

Also, be on the lookout for A Rogue's Tale Part III, coming out very soon.

Download a free sample of The Lost Diadem (A Rogue's Tale Part I)
Learn more about A Rogue's Tale and Saoirse O'Mara, here
Saoirse O'Mara's full contact information can be found, here

For information about about reviews, stories, or various other activities by Joshua Hicks, follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment