Friday, April 12, 2013

The Connection Between Book and Writer


When I write, no matter what I'm writing, I think about the connection readers might make between the words I write, and my personality.  There's no doubt that certain elements of my stories represent parts of my own personality, but not all of them.

Right now I'm writing a science fiction novel, and that carries a stereotype.  I must like Star Trek and Dr. Who, right?  Eh, I guess Star trek is okay, and I've only tried watching Dr. Who once, but I'm actually more into conspiracy theories.  Sure, Back to the Future is one of my favorite movies, but I don't think that defines me.

 I also like to write horror stories.  As a matter of fact, that's probably more of my preferred genre.  I prefer reader horror, and always have.  Does that carry its own stereotypes?  I would think so.

 What if I decide to write a fantasy series one day?  Does that say something about me?  Will people who read my science fiction and horror stories be likely to read my fantasy series?  Will they tell me to pick a genre and stick to it?

 It seems that a lot of times writers DO stick to certain genres, and I've heard that's good for business.

 If you want to build an audience, you need to build a fan base.  I agree with that statement.  On the other hand, I want to write whatever I want to write, and I want my fan base to stick with me because of my personality and writing style, not because I fall into their preferred genre.

 I would think that it's almost inescapable:  people are going to make assumptions about writers based on the content writers produce.  Of course.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like to think that the relationship between writer and reader could grow over time.  I want my collection of work, and not just a single story, to shed light on who I am as a writer.

 I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way I do.  I know that some people just want to writer thrillers and others just want to writer mystery novels, but one of the reasons I like to write is my broad array of interests.  I want to explore those interests, and learn about my own personality through writing.

 Let me know what you think.

Leave feedback at: jdh112683@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment