Friday, July 12, 2013

Update: 07/12/2013

I wanted to fill everyone in on what’s going on with me right now.  One of the managers where I’m employed was impressed enough with my work to offer me a job in his department.  It’s not a huge promotion, but it gets me out of the rain and heat and gives me a small raise and a set schedule.  I’ve already worked two days in the new department.  It’s like having an entirely different job.

I had some trouble getting my transcripts from the college I graduated from to college I’m trying to attend, but finally got them there.  Now, the new school is going to process my application, and I hope to hear something from them very soon.  I can’t even explain how much I want to go back to school.  This time, I have a clear understanding of what I want to be:  A teacher.  Like many first-time students, I went through college not really knowing what I wanted out of life.  By the time I was done, I had a degree that I didn’t know what to do with, and a pile of student loans to pay off.  I want to do it right this time.

I received the final test results of my Praxis I test, and writing was actually my lowest score… lower than my math score… lower than my reading score… Hmm, I figured math would have been my lowest, but at least I still had a score high enough to meet the requirements.  The only thing I’m not sure about is financial aid.  I applied for financial aid before I did anything else, but my understanding is that have to be accepted to a school before I’ll know exactly how much to expect.  I guess I’ll find out soon, one way or the other.

I hope everyone had a good Fourth of July.  We took our two-year-old daughter to see fireworks.  She was in awe of them.  She wouldn’t look away from them, but she wouldn’t let me put her down, either.  She was afraid of them, because she didn’t understand them, but she kept talking about them in that excited way toddlers use to express their interests.

I finished reading Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry last week.  I’ve always enjoyed the TV miniseries, and found the book at a thrift shop for a few bucks.  Took forever to read, but I enjoyed every bit of it.  I think it might be the first western-genre book I’ve ever finished reading, and I definitely recommend it to fans of the genre.  Currently, I’m reading Roadwork, by Stephen King.  I’ve read plenty by him.


Thanks for reading.  I’ll be back next week with something new.  Make sure to check back frequently for new reviews and discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment